Sunday, January 30, 2011

Campus rises to the occasion to welcome the seer

The campus rose to the occasion to welcome His Holiness the Dalai Lama who came to take part in the Josephite Summit here on Sunday. A group of Tibetan students worked relentlessly giving attention to minute details.

The Dalai Lama was offered a traditional welcome in the form of a folk dance which was followed by the symbolic ceremony of lighting the lamp. The four constituents of SJC- the management, the staff, the alumni and the students honoured the Dalai Lama in their own way.



Welcoming the Dalai Lama Fr Abrose Pinto, the Principal called the event an historic occasion. “The father of our nation was assassinated on January 30, 1948. Sixty two years later we have with us his holiness the Dalai Lama who galvanises the stand for the same cause. He is the universal Mahatma who embodies the struggle against repression,” he said.

In preparation for the event, appropriate security measures were put in place. Journalists and press persons of varied media houses of the city pooled in to cover the historic event.

Faculty members, alumni and students, along with their families, thronged the event to catch a glimpse of the great spiritual leader. “I have waited all my life to see the Dalai Lama. My husband has had a chance to meet him, but I have never had the opportunity to do so until today,” Tenzing Doma, the mother of a student who attended the event, said.

“This is the chance of the life time. Seeing His Holiness gave me the motivation and strength to deal with the daily struggles,” said Mary P of Central College.

- Parinitha and Shoaib, I M S Com

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to SJC team for conducting the event smoothly!

    I am an outstation parent and it was a blessing in my coincidental visit to see my daughter during the weekend of the visit. Though I had to stretch my ears and overcome the test of listening ability during His Holiness speech, I am one of those to be enlightened and blessed to see him in person and hear him directly.

    This day will remain an unforgetable one in my life. THANK YOU again.

    ReplyDelete